When I feel like going vegan with pasta, this eggplant spaghetti is my best choice. I saw this recipe a while ago when I watched David Rocco's Dolce Vita. He called it Pasta alla Norma, and I never imagined that pasta would go so well with eggplant. Here in Tangerang or other regions in Indonesia, we can buy eggplant everyday, all seasons, anywhere, traditional market or supermarket, and it's cheap also. So, this veggie can go fancy too.
Here's the recipe for 3 servings.
300 grams spaghetti or any kind of pasta
1 medium eggplant, cubed
3 ripe tomatoes, chopped or puréed
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil, or fresh basil if you can find
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup cooking oil to fry the eggplant
salt and ground pepper to your taste
- Fried the eggplant until golden crown and drain on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Cook the pasta until al dente, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the pan over medium heat, and add the olive oil. Then sautée the garlic very quick before getting brown, then add tomato puré. Stir slightly, then add oregano, salt and pepper. Stir until it reach the thick consistency.
- Add the eggplant to the sauce, and stir gently, and sprinkle it with basil. Then turn off the heat.
- Plate the spaghetti and top it with the eggplant tomato sauce. Sprinkle the cheese before serving.
Now, you have it! :)