Monday, August 27, 2012

Rustic Snow Princess Cookies

Baking is actually not my thing. I used to say that I can't bake, or I don't like to bake. I'd rather buy cake or cookies in the bakery. I only bake when I feel like it, or if I feel a little bit challenged by watching food channel on TV. Up to now, I'm proudly saying that I've already bake cupcakes, cookies, brownies and muffins, not mention some red velvet cakes that I made couple years ago with success. That's all. For me, baking is a real hardwork. I haven't got there yet. So, for all the bakers out there, my hat's off to you! What you do is a very amazing job.

However, lately I've decide that baking is a place that I should explore. Like a kid with a new toy, I think it has to be conquered step by step, little by little. So, 2 weeks ago I finally made this, after my daughter nagged me constantly about this cookies she's craving. And  truthfully, the making of kue putri salju or snow princess cookies is complicated enough for me. Moreover, she wanted cheese to be incorporated. Well...well...she really knows how to make my day.

This cookies is really famous in Indonesia, especially during the Eid-ul Fitr celebration. I think every family serve this to their guests. So, I was surfing the internet to find the recipe, and finally I ended up with this one. Since this is my first time, the outcome hasn't had perfect shape. That's why I call it rustic (to my defense).


Ingredients :
100 grams margarine
100 grams usalted butter
70 grams icing sugar, sieved
200 grams flour, sieved
50 grams corn starch
75 grams edam cheese, grated
50 grams cheddar cheese, grated
2 egg yolks
½ teaspoon  baking powder
50 grams almond, roasted and choped finely
1 cup icing sugar (or to taste) for dusting



Methode:
Mix together margarine, butter, and icing sugar and beat until soft using a hand mixer. Add the egg yolks,  and continue to beat until all incorporated.

Add flour, corn starch,  baking powder, cheese and almond, and mix all together, fold with  your hands until the dough doesn't stick to your hands.

Shape the dough into crescent-shaped, or whatever you like.

Bake the crescent-shaped cookie dough on the baking tray  layered with parchment paper in the oven, which already preheat to 180 C degrees for 15 minutes. 

Take the cookies out of the oven, and dust them with icing sugar.

I plan to make this cookies again in the future, since my daughter like them so much. So, I guess what they say is true: don't judge the cookie by its look. Eventhough it looks rustic, the taste is fantastic! LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment